The sports and fitness industry is rapidly evolving. Although sports and fitness is typically linked with sporting goods and fitness equipment, the industry is no longer confined to traditional products. While these products remain popular—and companies continually strive to make improvements in that space—the industry has expanded to include the fitness concerns of the burgeoning number of people looking to enhance their health with performance and active lifestyle products. From “apps” on a phone for health-conscious consumers to data-measuring wearables for competing athletes, a wide variety of performance and lifestyle products have entered the mainstream. To keep pace with customer demand, companies are tasked with inventing, manufacturing, and branding new and innovative products. But competition for market share is fierce, which makes protecting a product’s brand value and underlying intellectual property (IP) critical to short- and long-term success. Finnegan has an extensive history of working with clients to help them develop, protect, and enforce their IP rights, allowing companies to remain competitive in a crowded and ever-changing market.
Deep bench of legal and technical expertise to protect sports and fitness advancements
Protecting advancements within the sports and fitness industry requires a multidisciplinary IP team. Finnegan’s lawyers and professionals have vast experience in all areas of IP. More than 45 of our professionals are former U.S. patent examiners, several having experience in fitness-related fields. We have a history of representing companies in the sports and fitness industry in all aspects of IP, including strategically building and managing trademark and patent portfolios, conducting due diligence, and counseling on IP management and monetization strategies. Our first-hand experience includes health and fitness tracking systems, body-worn smart medical devices, consumer health products, consumer electronics, artificial sports playing fields, diagnostic mobile applications (apps), sports apparel, business methods directed to health and fitness, and mechanical technologies related to sports and fitness equipment.
From procuring patents for new inventions to developing winning litigation strategies, we provide a full range of services to our sports and fitness clients, including:
- Protecting against infringement through litigation or other dispute resolution options.
- Conducting post-grant review proceedings and experience with PTAB trials, including inter partes review.
- Writing opinions and providing ongoing counseling for new and evolving products.
- Conducting invention capture sessions that focus on the client’s business and legal needs.
- Developing and executing prosecution strategies to create strong intellectual property rights.
- Analyzing competitors’ intellectual property to avoid infringement and identify gaps and weaknesses.
- Providing patent and trademark prosecution and counseling.
A diverse client base
We work with innovative clients of all sizes, including:
- ATP World Tour
- Dyaco International
- Head Sport
- Giant Bicycles
- Molten USA
- NFL Players Association
- Performance Sports Group (formerly Bauer Performance Sports)
- Total Gym Fitness
- Under Armour